Confirmands welcomed as new members
The confirmation of baptismal vows is a time of celebration and reflection on the part of the confirmand. Here at First Church our Senior High Ministries director, Steve Wilson, has endeavored to create confirmation as educational as well as fun. His driving force is a desire for all students to have a close and personal relationship with Jesus Christ, in this loving faith community called First Church.
This year 10 students, mostly freshmen in high school, came together starting in January and met weekly through April. While learning about church history, what it means to be a Christian, and what it means to be a Presbyterian. They also had to grapple with their own beliefs by writing down their answers to these questions:
- What does it mean for you personally to believe in Jesus Christ as your Savior?
- What does it mean for you personally to believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord?
- What does it mean for you personally to trust in God’s grace and love?
- In what ways do your belief and trust in Jesus shape and guide the way you live?
- What does it mean for you to be a faithful member of the Church as part of the body of Christ?
- In what ways have you found it challenging to be a disciple of Jesus?
Once they had tackled these questions in written form, they met with the Session to discuss their faith journeys and beliefs. What a wonderful way to state your beliefs and share them with the leadership of the church at a pivotal point in growing up.
Congratulations to Jonas Brown, Charles Haskell, Matthew Kendrick, Luke Lofton, Josiah Price, Henry Savage, Anna Simon, Henry Simon, Kyne Wilberforce and Lauren Woodard. They all were confirmed on Thursday, May 5, 2022, during a commitment and prayer service and presented to the congregation on Sunday, May 8, 2022.
About the author:
Katrina Marie Meacham is the communications coordinator at First Church. She earned an M.Div from Perkins School of Theology at SMU. She has served as a youth minister and has over 10 years of communications experience at Woodland Hills Mall and Tots to Tweens.